Environmental and Social Impact Assessment, as one of the most important components of the MCA-Armenia Program, implements the following functions:
- Oversights Environmental and social data collection process;
- Works out Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) reports;
- Works out, implements and oversights Environmental Management Plans (EMP) and Resettlement Action Plans (RAP);
- Ensures that the mentioned reports correspond to RA legislation, WB and MCC environmental, social and resettlement guidelines and requirements;
- Monitors timely and appropriate implementation of the activities in the EMPs.
According to the Consulting Contract signed on October 4, 2007 "Mott MacDonald" LLC acts as the Consultant for the Environmental and Social Assessment and Oversight. The functions and activities of the Consultant, including report drafting, implementation of public consultations on social impact and resettlement issues, as well as other issues, are coordinated by the MCA-Armenia Environmental and Social Impact team.
Since the Program inception the following achievements have been accomplished by May 2010:
1. Integrated Environmental and Social Assessments and Management Plans
- Roads: 3 package-level EAs; 54 EMPs for individual segments
- Irrigation: 22 EIAs; 45 EMPs; public consultations with 3185 participants in 143 communities
Environmental and Social Analysis (annually updated)
- Environmental Management Plan
- Social Analysis
- Gender Analysis